Wednesday, June 7, 2023

How Exceptionally Effective Teachers Think About Their Work

           “How can it be that some teachers succeed in remaining in our memory for years or even decades, whereas others fade into oblivion after just a short period of time?” ask John Hattie and Klaus Zierer in their book, Ten Mindframes for Visible Learning: Teaching for Success. They believe the answer lies in the way successful teachers think about teaching, which can be summed up in ten “mindframes”: 
Impact: 
- I am an evaluator of my impact on student learning. 
- I see assessment as informing my impact and next steps. 
- I collaborate with my peers and my students about my conceptions of progress and my impact. 
Change and challenge: 
- I am a change agent and believe all students can improve. 
- I strive for challenge and not merely “doing your best.” 
Learning focus: 
- I give and help students understand feedback and I interpret and act on feedback given to me. 
- I engage as much in dialogue as monologue. 
- I explicitly inform students what successful impact looks like from the outset. 
- I build relationships and trust so that learning can occur in a place where it is safe to make mistakes and learn from others. 
- I focus on learning and the language of learning. 

 Ten Mindframes for Visible Learning: Teaching for Success by John Hattie and Klaus Zierer (Routledge, 2018)

Please Note: This summary is reprinted with permission from issue #989 of The Marshall Memo, an excellent resource for educators.


No comments:

Post a Comment